Monday, December 2, 2013

Week 9: Thanksgiving!

This week our 3rd companion Sister Jensen was transferred to Mississippi. A few months ago she found a family who used to go to church, but hadn't been in over 20 years. They weren't the typical Mormons anymore-they smoked, drank, and lived regular lives. When Sister Jensen and her previous companion showed up the family didn't want much to do with the church. In a Southern hospitality kind of way, they let the 2 girls in. The family opened up and felt the love the girls had to share. Their 19 year old daughter started to be interested in the whole Mormon thing. She knew her parents and brother were "Mormon", but she was never raised in it. Sister Jensen and Sister Card taught her how God loves her. They shared how Christ came to earth not only to die for our sins, but to show us the way. He suffered so that we could find peace, comfort, and happiness. They taught her how Christ's exact church has been restored to the earth. They invited her to learn of these things for herself-to study the book of Mormon, to exercise faith, and to pray about it. She soon knew for herself that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was true. She decided to be baptized and told her dad she wished he could do it, but he had not been living worthy. That sparked him-he saw his daughter changing and becoming happier. He longed to be that example for her and wished he could baptize her. With this "slap in the face" realization, he started coming back to church. Soon the wife and grandmother followed. They were able to quit smoking and drinking sweet tea. They were able to put aside the worldly things because they valued the love, peace, and blessings of God more. It was not an easy process, and they are still learning (as we ALL are), but they are SO grateful for the gospel being back in their lives.

We went over to this families home for dinner on Monday and afterwards we all shared the thoughts of our hearts. It was absolutely beautiful. I can't possibly describe the experience in words, but I will try my best. I don't remember every detail of what people said, but I will never ever forget the feelings. It was like heaven had opened there gates and we were all basking in the love of God. Endless, boundless and scope less love. The Holy Ghost provides these feelings and teaches us what is true. The Holy Ghost was absolutely undeniable. That room was on fire. We were all crying tears of joy. So sweet and so pure. We didn't have a care in the world. Everyone was focused, honest, and open. The only thing that mattered was the love we all felt. When it came time for me to speak my heart was so full I could hardly utter words. I was able to share what I know to be true. The variety of emotions I felt from the Holy Ghost were love, peace, comfort, joy, excitement, happiness, and LOVE.

It was truly unreal to see and feel the power of an entire family get reactivated into the church. They have found the full truth and will never turn back. Like this beautiful family, I know this gospel is true. I know this gospel is real. The power and feelings felt in that little living room in a home in the middle of Alabama were real. No matter what the world says, I will never deny the power of God. Those experiences and feelings make life worth all the pain. I don't care how many doors get slammed in my face or how cold or hot it is outside or how many appointments fall through. Because at the end of the day the gospel is still true. I still have a burning testimony. I know now, more than ever before, that God lives and LOVES us. That love does not even come close to comparing with anything else the world has ever offered me. I am so thankful.

I leave these thoughts with y'all in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

May we all have a blessed (as they say in the south) week!!!

With all my love and conviction,
Sister Ella Rae Madsen
 Chandra and i at bass pro (going to be a freshman at byu in January-makena you must be her friend and be nice to her!!!! she has been going to church for 5 years but her parents wont let her get baptized. but hopefully she will be getting baptized dec 28 before she leaves. she is so perfect and i love her so much! she loves the gospel and is SO strong in it! she has zippo support from her family and is working at dollar tree bc she needs $ to pay for college! oh the poor thing i cant believe how hard she works! and her parents would pay for her to go to college in Alabama, but since she went against their will, secretly applied to byu, got in, and decided to go, they are not paying for anything. so basically she is my hero. she is so funny and so fun! )
 oh the good ole south. what is missing? U R !!!! hahhaha
 the beginning stages of my watercolor leaves!!
 my apple pie! oh so yummy!!
 sister fenn cooking up a storm!
 sister fenns mamma. converted 20ish years ago when she met the missionaries in a laundry mat! she was baptized on Christmas! i loved talking to her and making her share her life stories with me! hhahha she is stubborn and hilarious. but i made her open up to me. just got to be yourself and share the love!!!
 my plate :) but we already had another thanksgiving dinner earlier in the week! so we got 2!!!!!!! yesss
    my thanksgiving family! the fenns (in our ward) and their extended family!

 just grooving with my favorite people. too much fun.

3 generations of love! and the missionaries yaaaaaayyy

No comments:

Post a Comment