Friday night we taught Bro. Jesse Mack, our 70 yo intellectual, curious, and fun black friend. There we sat in his humble home with an older couple-the Martins- from our church in Leeds. We taught about the temple. They totally clicked because the Martins have a son who passed away in his 30s in a car accident, Bro. Mack has a son who drowned in his 30s. Bro. Martin has a sister with special needs, Bro. Mack lives alone with his daughter who has special needs. The lesson was perfect for him because the temple is a place to feel the closeness of families and feel peace regarding those who have passed on.
The next day we stopped by Bro. Macks home to say hello and he wasn't there. A minute later he pulled in, got out of his car, and asked, "guess where I've been?" With the biggest smile I've seen this man make he exclaimed, "at the TEMPLE!!!"
We were so shocked. It hadn't even been 24 hours since we first taught him about the temple. He felt something good in the lesson that sparked his desire. Therfore, he woke up the very next day and drove himself to Birmingham. He walked around the grounds, took pictures, and talked to people in the waiting room. He tried to describe his experience and couldn't even put it into words.
He recounted, "the temple is a place of peace. that is a fact. I felt something different there that I've never experienced. It was like the world didn't even exist. My mind was clear and the haze was gone. I could actually think for once. Everyone needs to go there. I will definitely be going back."
Bro. Mack recognizes the peace and joy of God's goodness and is changing because of it. With a chuckle in his voice he said, "y'all are changing me, you don't even know!"
We are not changing him, God is! He is a happier than ever, and so are we!!!
Love y'all!
Sister Madsen
No comments:
Post a Comment