Yesterday I had one of the most powerful experiences of my mission. Two months ago Sister Schwendiman and I saw a lady smoking a cigarette sitting on a bench. We started talking and soon learned she was a Mormon, but hadn't been to church since 1982. Yesterday Bonnie came to church. I can't possibly explain the pure joy I felt. We have been visiting her since mid January, trying to help her rediscover the light she used to feel. She had made a new years resolution to go to church every Sunday, was attending a non denominational church with her daughter, but knew there had to "be something more". We helped her start reading the Book of Mormon again. She soon remembered the happiest period of her life was when she was active in the Mormon church. Yesterday at service Bonnie told me she was "home".
As I sat next to her in church I felt God's love SO strongly. I was overwhelmed with the spirit. My heart burned as with a glowing fire. My eyes were filled with tears of the purest, most real, lasting, peaceful joy I have ever felt. I learned for myself that these scriptures are true: "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God" (D&C 18:10) and "if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!" (D&C 18:15).
I learned Heavenly Father values each individual person more than we can even imagine. Amongst the billions of people living on earth, the simple fact that I had helped ONE person find the truth again meant the world to God. I felt like everything I'd done for the past 5 months as a missionary was worth it. All the effort, work, stress, diligence, exhaustion, obedience, struggles, doubts, confusions, etc. were ALL worth it. Bonnie learned God has a plan for her. Even though she has been gone for 30 years, it is never too late to turn your life around. God had miraculously led us to her on that bitter January day, and she remembered The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is where she belongs.
Have a wonderful week my dear friends. The JOY IS REAL, and I have tasted it! I love being a missionary!
Sister Ella Rae Madsen
random EMU we found on the side of the road! hahah it had red eyes, so cool!!
gorgeous sunset on the most beautiful day of sunshine and bike riding!!
No comments:
Post a Comment