Saturday, March 8, 2014

Week 22.

Monday night we went to go visit our neighbors Danielle and Chris. We locked up our bikes and knocked on the broken screen door. Danielle answered with a beer in one hand and a cigarette in the other. She said "we ain't doin' anything but y'all are welcome in". In we went. We all sat around the coffee table staring at the candle burning while Pandora was bumping through the tv and smoke was wafting through the air. Danielle is a cute 20 year old white girl who lives with her boyfriend Chris, a 30 year old black man with tattoos and freckles.  Danielle comes from a broken family and earlier that day her dad called and put his phone on speaker. He had all his old men friends over drinking and laughing as they yelled into the phone, "your daughter is a n****r lover. HA ha haha." Her father does not approve of her being with a black man.

As we listened to Danielle's depressing life we felt prompted to read from the Book of Mormon. I opened to one of my favorite scriptures in 2 Nephi 26:33, which reads, "the Lord inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile." We testified that God is our loving Heavenly Father. He does not judge us based on our appearance. We helped her realize that Jesus Christ has already suffered the pain she feels, so she can turn to Him with her troubles. 

Just as peace started to fill the room we see a light beam through the window. Danielle quickly went outside because she realized it was her father. He had been calling her nonstop but we were studying the word so she didn't answer. As she stood on the porch confronting her dad my heart ached. She desperately exclaimed, "What are you doing here?...Why do I live here?! Because I love him! I can't help who I love! ... And I don't understand why momma still lives with a man who beats her. And you are a drunk-look at you right now! You are always intoxicated! Go! Just leave." As she fought back the tears I did too. It felt surreal.

I don't fully understand why some peoples lives are infinitely harder than mine. But as I talk to more and more people I realize we all have a cross to bear. Life is not easy, nor was it ever meant to be. We all face challenges in order to help us grow. When Danielle came back inside we listened to her troubled heart. We testified of the peace Christ offers. In the Bible Jesus said, "Peace I leave you. My peace I give unto you. Not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27). No matter what we go through in life, if we cast our burdens at Christ's feet we will feel the reality of His love. His peace will fill our hearts and He will give us strength to move on.

I know Jesus Christ lives. I know He knows us individually and by name. He knows our hearts perfectly. Turn to Him. Trust Him. As you do so, comfort and peace will flood into your life. I love my Savior and am humbled to be His servant.

All my love and gratitude
Sister Ella Rae Madsen

 Michelle-my dear friend at church :)
 Michelle's hilarious husband Jeff! He thought my outfit was the ugliest thing ever...hahha!!!
 The Hermanas and Michelle and I. I love the Corinth Ward! So much color and uniqueness and love!!
  Exchanges with Sister Wilson!!! We had a blast. I love her. She is from Provo and knows all my friends. YAY.
Sister Bryant got her bicycle!! Whoo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment