Thursday, January 16, 2014

Week 15.

Hello hello all y'all!!!
This week I was transfered to Corinth, Mississippi! I now live in the tiniest little country town you'd ever see. We have the largest area in the mission, bike every other day, and live in an apartment with 2 spanish speaking sister missionaries! It is oh so fun!One thing I've been studying is humility. To me, humility means you are kind to everyone. You love everyone equally and you do not judge. You don't compare. You don't think you are better than your neighbor. You do God's will, not your own. You are teachable. You choose not to get offended. You go about doing good without taking the credit. You forget about the "I's" in life and focus on the needs of others. I have lots of room for improvement in regards to humility, so I am trying to better understand it.

There are 2 ways to develop humility-you can be humbled or you can humble yourself. I am experiencing both. Living down in the south is so much different than my life back in Santa Cruz, California. I had everything I ever wanted and more. I could eat anything at anytime. I could run along the beautiful cliffs or go swim in the ocean or bask in the sun. I could spend time with my loving family. I could spend time with friends. I could craft. I could bake. I could learn. I was blessed with just about every opportunity. Living out here is hard because I see so many people with nothing. No food. No water. No heat. No car. No gas. No money. No family. No friends. No job. It is hard to wrap your head around it. I encounter people everyday who sincerely don't know how they will find their next meal. They live in meager circumstances. I have the priviledge of learning about their lives and discovering where their heart is. What I've learned is that God loves everyone. He does not care what temporal situation you are in. All He wants is to show you His love, and that is available to anyone who seeks it.

On Thursday we went to Michie, Tennesse to teach one of our 15 year old friends. He lives with his mom and step dad. When we walked into the house all I saw was trash, dirt, clutter, and broken things. My mind flashbacked to our family trip to Peru last summer. We were in a tiny hut in the middle of nowhere and I remember my mom saying, "Hollywood couldn't even make a scene this good". Those are the exact words that flowed into my mind as I ventured into this humble home. The poor mom has elephantitus and cannot move. The husband is the president of a motorcycle gang, has long hair, wears bandanas on his head, has piercings, tattoos, and skull rings on every finger. The son had on his best clothes-some jeans and a new black sweatshirt. I found myself sitting with a beautiful family who was so unique. They don't have much at all. But as we got to talking, everything around me seemed to fade. The cold air seemed to become warmth inside of me as I listened to the father speak. He told us how we knows The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. He was baptized 30 years ago but never went to church after that. A few months ago he decided to change his life around. He has read the Bible 24 times cover to cover. He has read the Book of Mormon 3 times, and he only got it a month ago! His testimony is so strong. Hearing of his faith gave me strength. He said he loves his wife for who she is on the inside. He said if they didn't have food they would go shoot something. Since their insurance ran out they would ride their horse to church (yes we are living in 2014, but that is real, I promise).
Meeting this family taught me that God knows each of us personally. He appreciates and loves our quirks and talents and personalities equally, for He created each of us. I was amazed at how much love I could feel for a family I had just met. I could see their hearts were in the right place, and that was all that mattered. The more I learn about life the less I care about looks and talents and the raise you just got. The more I appreciate internal beauty-that of humility and service and love. I am so beyond far from perfect, but I am trying to be better each day.

I am so thankful for the variety of people I get to meet out here in Mississippi, Tennesse, and Alabama. The culture is far different than that at home, but one thing remains the same-Gods love. I know Christ's church has been restored and I know the fullness of truth is found in our church. I know we are each a special child of God, no matter what situation we may find ourselves in. May we each recognize how lucky we are and appreciate what we have been given, for their is someone who has it worse than us.
I love you all with my whole heart. I feel like I am the luckiest girl in the world.
Sister Ella Rae Madsen


robert and I! A precious old man who was baptized in july! we read the bom on his porch. he blessed the sacrament and it was so precious!



No comments:

Post a Comment